Thursday, October 29, 2015

Simply Believe


"Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven, Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me."
Matthew 18:3-5.

Not only are children innocent; they are born completely dependent on us and are naturally trusting of us. They need someone to take care of them, feeding and nurturing. As adults, we need to revert back to this childlike innocence of placing our trust in Him many times in our lifetime.  This acceptance and surrender pleases God.  It is difficult when we are attempting to control  various aspects of our lives.  Do we sometimes streamline our prayers into what we want an outcome to be, or do we pray and then accept God's will for that given situation?  Do we keep God out of what we consider some of the private aspects of our lives, but let Him in where and when we feel we need Him?  It is similar to our children asking us for permission for something, thanking us for a favor, or asking for guidance. When my children come to me with any of these things, I welcome the communication.  This perhaps gives some insight as to how God, our Father, might like to hear from us as we pray to Him.

Life Experience:  I came across a story about the first Eucharistic Miracle that took place in  the 8th Century in a small town near the Adriatic Sea in Italy.  The occurrence that took place in this tiny church by a questioning monk fascinated me.  Since my husband had shared with me that he would love for me to go to Italy with him one day, I shared with him that if I did, I thought it would be wonderful to visit the church and view the miracle that is intact some 1,300 years later. 
 Years passed; I visited an exhibit on the many Eucharistic miracles that have occurred over the centuries.  I found the Lanciano story.  More years went by. My husband had business to attend to in Italy, and asked if I  would  accompany him this time.  I replied,  "Let me know every place that you will visit, and I will think about it."  He gave me his list of about four areas where there were companies that he would visit. The only city that was on the Adriatic side was the town of  Pescara.  I eagerly searched a map.  Low and behold, the tiny town of Lanciano was a very short distance from where he needed to be! After all of this time, a secret wish that was filed away as a wild card dream would come to fruition.
 While enjoying dinner with our faith-filled Italian friends,  I enthusiastically started a discussion  about the visit we were planning while visiting their country, and what I had read about the scientific evidence regarding the Shroud of Turin and the Miracle at Lanciano. I started by wishing to discuss the  incredible facts: the age of the specimens, the blood typing and chemistry, and....Franco interjects, no, you Just Believe.....I wish to continue: I know, but it is amazing the centuries that have passed, it is all intact, the fact that the blood studies show.....no, you Just Believe, he says again with much conviction, no discussion.  He stopped me in my tracks, to give pause to think. Do you really need evidence?  Will you always have or ever really need the proof?   Simply believe. Be childlike, trust, accept, and know in your heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment